Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Going Green - No paper towels

Dear blog,

I want you to know as we begin our green journey that we are in no way perfect. You may see many double standards. Some of you may think, "Well, if they don't use paper towels and use cloth diapers, then why are they still using toilet paper?" Like I said in the previous post, we must change in phases, lest we make ourselves mad with such a sudden and drastic lifestyle change. And if you have any suggestions to make things better or easier, then please let us know. This will be a learning experience for us so expect mistakes.

The very first change Heath and I made was cutting out paper towels. This was a very easy thing to do, in my opinion. I was actually inspired by my in-laws while Heath and I were still engaged. They kept a stack of dish rags under the sink. I know a lot of people may do this but it hit me one day that it is so easy to grab a rag from under the sink and clean off the counter tops and then toss it in the laundry hamper. Doing that is the same motions if you were using a paper towel: pull it off the roll, wipe the counter, and toss into the trash.

I bought a bundle of these from Wal Mart. It was about $3.50 for 18.
That's just as much as a package of paper towels. Seems worth it to me.


My in-laws also had cloth napkins. Though I've used them many times in restaurants I never considered using them at home. I enjoyed using them because it made the meal feel more elegant, even if it was macaroni & cheese. I thought to myself that with cloth napkins and dish rags, I could totally eliminate paper towels. And I liked that idea very much.

This fabric is pretty thick though I'm sure it doesn't have to be. These were left over linens from my wedding and they work great.
Also, using cheese cloths or something like it works well too.


It seems so obvious to do this one, since most of us already have plenty of dish rags. What a simple and easy way to start...
Step one - complete.
I challenge you to do the same!
Sincerely,
Emily Wilcock

No comments:

Post a Comment